Production Manager/Framebuilder Sales/Wheelbuilder
Three years ago I began working with Tom Ritchey and Team Ritchey in San Francisco. As Production Manager, I built and tested prototype wheels, and was responsible for tracking the frames through production, quality control, paint to shipping. I coordinated the work efforts of outside framebuilders and oversaw outside wheel production. As head of Framebuilder Sales, I sold Ritchey components to framebuilders in the U.S. and Canada. As Wheelbuilder, I built the first OCR (off-center) rim ridden and tested by Thomas Frischknecht in the 1996 World Cup. I built all the wheels for Team Ritchey, for other teams Ritchey supported, and for Silver Medalist Frischknecht and fellow Olympian Andres Brenes.
Custom Bike Manufacturing/Mechanic/Sales
In concert with George Banke, I fit custom bikes and component groups for road racers, tri-athletes and high end road bike enthusiasts
My company, “Joe Young Performance Tuning,” worked with top OEM suppliers and distributors to package specialized component sets for custom bikes. I also built high-performance wheels for highly demanding riders and have been chief mechanic for national teams.
Manager/Owner of 3 bike shops.
In addition to being owner, I managed Velosports Bicycle Shop, University Cycle, and Wandering Hill shops in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area since l966. These shops focused on sales of high end bicycles, components and service.
Sales and Distribution
This experience included all areas of distribution and sales, including inside and outside sales to dealers, outside telephone sales, sales management, warehouse management, buyer, both foreign and domestic, import procedures.
• Master Wheelbuilder, 28 yrs.
• Master Mechanic, 29 yrs.
• United States Cycling Federation Coach, 15 yrs.
• U.S. Cycling Fed. Racer CAT 3, Vet Master
• National Off-Road Bicycling Association Racer
• League of American Wheelmen
• Texas State Champion , Master, 2 years.
• Cycling Instructor, 10 years
• Cycling Instructor, Texas Christian University 3 years
• Texas Metro, Frito-Lay/Centurion
• Race Across America, Mechanic/Crew Chief 1993
• Women’s Team, Mechanic, 5 years
Relevant Education and Courses
• AA Degree, Drafting, Ft. Worth Drafting Academy
• 3 Campagnolo Mechanic Seminars
• Schwinn Sales Management and Mechanic School
• 1 Shimano Mechanic Seminar
• 2 U.S. Cycling Federation Coaching Seminars
• Effective Cycling Instructor Training
• 1 DT Master Wheelbuilding Seminar
• League of American Cyclists
Professional and Personal References Furnished Upon Request